Sunday, January 17, 2010

TRYING TO FLY

My personality trait is sanguine/mixed with something else.


SANGUINE: Light hearted, fun, a people person, a peace maker, enjoys children, spontaneous, scatter brained, impulsive, doesn't finish what they start, may avoid facing problems, takes on more than they have time for. (I'm thankful for the something else, which I've forgotten!)


That said, I will bare a few more questionable traits. Several years ago I signed up on the FLYLADY web page. (If you don't know about that, go there and check it out.) The main goal is to motivate folks to keep their homes clutter free and form good habits. I need that discipline 24/7. In keeping with my sanguine-ness, I am no longer active on the web page, but the theory is still very much on my mind. Mind you, I didn't say the theory is in my feet and hands....


Today I have been working in the back/room/cave because I am getting rid of the ugly desk and replacing it with a double lateral file. I came across this article from FLYLADY and am excerpting from it. Probably it fits with more than just Moi.


Dear Friends: Clutter has a way of creeping into our homes when we least expect it. We are notorious for holding on to things that we might need one day. As a result of this hoarding our homes become garages for holding on to these mundane things.


One time we (FLYLADY) got a testimonial from one of our members who had been living in an 800 sf home. She felt suffocated. When she got rid of her clutter, the family found room to live even in a small home. They didn't have to move into a large place just so they would have a place for all their stuff!


What do we do with all of our clutter? It takes over our home and when that gets full we start filling up the garage, basement, attic and then the outside storage building(s). Not only is our clutter stealing our precious living space, it is taking our hard earned money because we rent storage buildings!


We shop, we go to estate/garage sales and bring home other people's clutter, satisfying the clutter's insatiable appetite. Homes were not build for this!


Don't allow your clutter to steal your life and your home. . .(end) .

One of FLYLADY'S mantras is to spend 15 minutes at a time working on one thing (You can do anything for 15 minutes)! If I had been consistent with decluttering back in 20??, I would have less stuff and probably not be tempted to get more stuff/junk!


I am committed more than ever to get started again on this process!


Dorothy (gave up on normal) Welch

1 comment: